Te Whariki, the New Zealand early childhood curriculum: “a discourse that embraces equity and inclusion” (Terreni, Gunn, Kelly & Surtees, 2010).


Saturday, 23 February 2013

Social rights


Gay rights was not something I would have discussed in my day to day conversation in the past. However, in 2009 things changed in my family and my brother, “came out of the closet”. From that year his announcement has affected me as a person, a sister and a teacher to be. Different assumptions about this lifestyle has sprouted in my head, but there are also many questions I wanted answers to. I love my brother, and in order to support him, I needed to open my mind and learn more about his way of life and culture.

As my journey as a trained teacher continues, I am learning the importance of celebrating the different cultures of the children and their families attending the centre. Therefore it is important for me to have knowledge about the gay community and learn more about it in order to celebrate it within early childhood education.

The gay community rights are often talked about all over the world and I intend to present  changes in the rights that have been made over the years. These changes are still not supported by all of society. In my blog I would like to discuss the importance of acceptance of other points of view, perspective and life style.  I want to show how globalization shifted peoples’ way of thinking about the gay community and how the education system as made it easier for gay people to participate.

I will discuss and focus on the changing history of gay rights and how it has shaped the way society (especially the education sector) accepts same gender families into the early childhood community.



References:
           
Terreni, L., Gunn, A. C., Kelly, J., & Surtees, N. (2010). In and out of the closet: Successes and 
           challenges experienced by gay and lesbian  headed families in their interactions with the 
           education system in New Zealand. In V. A. Green & S. Cherrington (Ed.), Delving into 
           diversity: An international exploration of issues of diversity in education (pp. 151- 161). 
           New York, NY: Nova Publishers.  

1 comment:

  1. Hi Shiran, this is an interesting subject and I'll be interested to see what you find out.
    My cousin is gay and married and I love him alot.

    ReplyDelete