Te Whariki, the New Zealand early childhood curriculum: “a discourse that embraces equity and inclusion” (Terreni, Gunn, Kelly & Surtees, 2010).


Saturday, 13 April 2013

Last words.

“Being conscious not to make assumptions about families, and ensuring that curriculum activities are not shaped by heteronormativity, can demonstrate that teachers are responsive to the needs of gay and lesbian headed families. Teachers should aspire to be positive role models for children and demonstrate a commitment to equity, justice and social inclusion”  (Terreni, Gunn, Kelly & Surtees, 2010, p. 38).

To sum up, I look forward to the third and final reading. I look forward to seeing if the people of New Zealand have a voice. Even if the bill will not pass, the gay community made their point. I will continue to support this issue as it is important for my brother, because as a sister and a teacher I would like to see equality for  future generations. Through examining this issue, I was able to reflect on my practice and recognise the places I needed to improve on when it comes to diversity, inclusion and equality.





Reference:

Terreni, L., Gunn, A. C., Kelly, J., & Surtees, N. (2010). In and out of the closet: Successes and 
           challenges experienced by gay and lesbian  headed families in their interactions with the 
           education system in New Zealand. In V. A. Green & S. Cherrington (Ed.), delving into 
           diversity: An international exploration of issues of diversity in education (pp. 151- 161). 
           New York: Nova Publishers.  

1 comment:

  1. Shiran, I enjoyed very much reading your very interesting social topic. There are so many different opinions aren’t there on this controversial topic. I also think that it is our professional responsibility as teachers to make sure that the diverse family structures of gay and lesbian parents are well and truly supported within the ECE environment. I feel that if they are supported and have their children in an environment that is seen as it being ok to have same sex parents raising their children they would be more likely to open up about their own family situation. I stumbled across a news article written by Barlow (2013). It stated that in 1986 the National Longitudinal Lesbian Family Study,was contucded. This study is thought to of been the best study so far done on children in same sex families. The study followed 154 lesbian mothers, and recently checked in on 78 adolescent children. The studies showed that these children had high levels of social and academic skills, fewer social problems and fewer problems of rule-breaking and aggressive behaviours (Barlow, 2013).I wonder Shiran if we revisit this topic in another 15 years if same sex marriages, adoption, and raising children in same sex families will all just be the norm? I will continue to follow your very interesting blog, and may you continue to learn and grow with your brother! Robyn Rusden
    References

    Barlow, R. (2013). Med prof’s findings comes as Surpreme Court weighs
    Same sex marriage. Gay parents as good as straight ones. BU Today
    Retrieved from. http://www.bu.edu/today/2013/gay-parents-as-good-as-straight-ones/

    ReplyDelete